Steyning: Pretty as a Picture
but does the old place still look the same?
Continued

Pages 1, 2, 3, 4

 

Market House

The clock tower above Market House is a familiar landmark at the centre of Steyning High Street. The clock was given to the town by the local landowner, the Duke of Norfolk and came from his pigeon house at Michelgrove, near Arundel. This postcard is on sale at Steyning Museum.


Market House 1910

The Market House replaced an earlier market hall in the High Street. Since 1771, it has been the manorial court, town hall and general meeting house, the jail, the police station and, until 1936, the fire station. This postcard of 1910 shows the old horse-drawn fire engine at the entrance. When the fire bell rang, horses stabled at the White Horse Inn would make their way over the road to join the fire engine and its crew. Read more about the Market House via the History page.


Chequer Inn

The Chequer Inn pub in Steyning High Street was originally a coaching inn. It was built in the 15th century. Like several other local buildings, its timber-framed construction is concealed behind an 18th century facade. The new brick frontage was considered smart and fashionable compared to the ramshackle 'medieval look'. This postcard is on sale at Steyning Museum.


Chequer Inn 1868

In 1869, the Chequer Inn had the same beautiful wrought iron bracket to display its sign. The animal pens shown in the road were probably there for the livestock market. Old photographs show that animals frequently roamed the street untethered.

Back
More
Top of Page
Website Map

Site last updated
15 June 2017

Museum...Friends...Activities...History...Genealogy...Community...Schools...Links